Free shipping in Germany as of 39€

The Problem With Acetone in Nail Polish Removers

When we think nail polish remover, we think acetone. Acetone is the most common ingredient used in nail polish removers as it’s solvent however it is becoming more popular for brands to bring out a nail polish remover WITHOUT acetone. It seems many people already know that acetone isn’t “that amazing” – but do you know exactly why? In today’s blog post and video, we are going to talk about why it’s better to avoid acetone and why it’s better to choose a nail polish remover without it. 

The Problem With Acetone in Nail Polish Removers

A nail polish removers’ main ingredient is always going to be a solvent where the most popular solvent used is acetone. A solvents “job” is to dissolve other substances or, in the case of a nail polish remover, to remove the nail polish. The solvent usually makes up to 80-100% of the whole nail polish remover. Have a look at the first ingredient in your nail polish remover – that is the primary solvent this remover is using. When a product is made with such a high concentrate of one ingredient, in this case the solvent, it’s very good to understand what that ingredient is and what the potential harmful side effects can be. So, let’s have a look at why acetone has such a bad reputation and why we also chose not to include this in our nail polish remover. 

Problem #1: Acetone is Extremely Drying to our Nails and Skin 
Acetone is known to be one of the most effective and yet also most harsh solvents. Whilst you can always trust in acetone to remove even the most stubborn nail polish, you are also damaging your nails and skin with this harsh solvent especially if you have dry and brittle nails and skin as it is anyway. Why? Basically, ANY solvent used in nail polish removers will be slightly drying to your nails and skin because the solvents job is to remove your nail polish, thus it will also inevitably remove some of the natural oils on your nails and skin which causes dryness. Acetone however, as one of the most effective and harsh solvents and can be quite violent when removing nail polish whilst taking a whole bunch of the natural oils from our skin and nails with it.  

Luckily, there are other more natural solvents which work almost just as good as acetone. It’s best you do your skin and nails favor and opt for an acetone free nail polish remover. We use the solvent ethyl lactate, a more natural and also biodegradable solvent which is gentle and not so drying to our skin. 

Pro Tip: As mentioned, a solvent will always inevitably strip some of the natural oils from your skin and nails. After removing your nail polish make sure to wash your hands and moisturize them with a hand cream to retain some of the lost moisture.

Problem #2: Acetone has a Bad and Potent Smell  
If you have ever used a nail polish remover with acetone in it than this “problem” will not be new to you. Acetone has a strong and stingy smell which can make the whole nail polish removing process extremely uncomfortable and often times its best to open a window or even go outside to remove your nail polish. Especially for people who are sensitive to smells, the smell of acetone can cause headaches and even nausea. 

Problem #3: Overexposure to Acetone Can Cause Acetone Poisoning  
The final problem with acetone is that it can be harmful to us if we are overexposed to it. Now in order to understand how we can be overexposed to acetone it’s good to understand what acetone is. Acetone is not just a solvent but is actually a ketone that our body naturally produces. However, when there are too many ketones (incl. acetone) in our body it can go to the point of “acetone poisoning” which means there is too much acetone in our body.
Acetone poisoning can be caused in various ways incl. our diet, internal intake of acetone or external over-exposure to acetone. In order to however have acetone poisoning you do need to have an abnormally large amount of acetone in your body. 

Whilst overexposing yourself to acetone incl. nail polish remover is not considered healthy, the likelihood of being overexposed to acetone to the point of acetone poisoning due to your nail polish remover is highly unlikely. That being said it’s best to avoid acetone nail polish removers all together especially since there are many other alternatives to it. 

We hope you now better understand why we have not included acetone in our nail polish remover and why we recommend choosing a nail polish remover without it.  

Check out our vegan and natural nail polish removers here.

Thank you for tuning in for this blog post and video. We hope you enjoyed and if you any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us! 

Have an amazing day! 

Lots of LOVE,
Your Kia-Charlotta Team

Make sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook & Pinterest for more fun and informative content! Remember to use #kiacharlotta so that we can see your posts with @kiacharlotta! 

Disclaimer: We are not health professionals. Please contact your doctor or other health professional if you have any questions about acetone or acetone poisoning. 

The fields marked with * are required.